Retail Assistant (Part Time)
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Retail Assistant to support us in creating memorable experiences for our visitors by providing excellent customer service on front of house.
Working at the front desk in the MEAA Shop, you will ensure that all visitors are warmly welcomed and encouraged to engage with the Museum’s collection and events programmes.
With knowledge of the museums and galleries sector, you will hit the ground running to support our daily Visitor Services and Retail operations and will be expected to help drive income growth by actively promoting our retail offers and events.
Responsible for running the MEAA Shop at weekends, you will play an important part in the delivery of our Visitor Services and Retail offers.
We are looking for candidates who have the following:
- Direct experience of selling or promoting products and services in a retail or museum/gallery environment
- Excellent communication skills: – able to interact with a variety of visitors with confidence and clarity and understanding of the importance of good customer service
- Strong IT skills: – ability to use Microsoft applications (Excel, Outlook and Word), ability to adapt to new technology and IT systems comfortably
- A high level of attention to detail, accuracy and excellent numeracy skills
- Availability and commitment to working regular weekend hours
- The ability to use initiative and multitask
- a good sense of responsibility and respect for others
- a proactive and self-motivated attitude: – ability to prioritise and organise own time effectively
- commitment to supporting and enhancing the visitor experience at MEAA by working to a high standard
- knowledge of and interest in museums, galleries or heritage environments
Highly Desirable Requirements
- Confidence in cash handling procedures
- Experience using an EPOS till system
- Awareness of Health and Safety and security issues in a work environment
- Previous administrative experience
- Experience working in a supporting role, or in a small team
Key responsibilities will include:
- Welcoming all visitors to the Museum and MEAA Shop, and processing admissions and sales through the EPOS till
- Providing information to visitors about the Museum, our events and activities and retail offers
- Processing events bookings and memberships face-to-face and over the telephone
- Actively promoting gift aid donations and shop products to support and maximise income growth for the Museum
- Responsible for the MEAA Shop during your working hours, including: setting up the till and cashing up at the end of the day
- Providing administrative support to the Visitor Services and Retail Manager by creating reports and maintaining records
- Merchandising shop window and displays, assisting with deliveries of stock and maintaining a presentable and tidy reception area at all times
- Responsible for adhering to building security regulations at all times
Closing date for applications: 20th July 2017 (midnight)
Interviews to be held: 24th July 2017
Previous applicants may apply.